Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Scotland




Published in The Daily Mail 8th April 2015

More than 10,000 dogs a year poisoned at home after eating items including
chocolate, paracetamol and dried fruit 

 
 
* About 56,000 dogs treated by vets for poisoning between 2010 and 2014
* Most had simply found a piece of food lying around or been fed a treat
* Painkillers the most common cause, followed by rat and mouse bait
* Kennel Club poisons expert warns even 'harmless' foods can be dangerous

More than 10,000 dogs a year are poisoned after eating everyday items such as
paracetamol and chocolate, a pet charity has warned.


The Kennel 
Club says seemingly harmless foods such as hot cross buns and onions can
be 
killers – and is urging owners to be alert to the threat.

Around 56,000 dogs 
were treated for poisoning between 2010 and 2014, according
to figures compiled 
by the charity and the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.
Of those, 470 
dogs died.

Unlike Crufts prizewinner Jagger the Irish setter, who died last month after eating
meat laced with poison, most poisoned pets will simply 
have eaten something they
found lying around the home or fallen ill after being f
ed treats by their well-meaning
owners.


Painkillers were the most common 
cause of poisoning, followed by rat and mouse
bait and chocolate – which can 
cause sickness, diarrhoea and fits and trigger heart
problems. Dark chocolate is 
particularly toxic.

Foods such as sultanas, grapes and raisins are also 
highly dangerous for dogs,
causing canine kidneys to fail. Dried forms of the 
fruit found in cakes are the most
toxic. Onions, garlic and leeks can cause 
life-threatening anaemia.



Nick Sutton, a Kennel Club poisons expert, said: ‘There are any number of ways a
dog can get access to dangerous and potentially lethal substances, 
whether by
accident, deliberate feeding or through owners mistakenly believing 
certain products –
particularly foods eaten by humans – are fine for a dog to 
eat.

Many seemingly harmless foods can be dangerous for a dog and owners 
need to be
aware of these risks in order to protect their much-loved 
pets.’

The popularity of e-cigarettes has seen them feature more prominently among
poisoning cases, with 64 dogs taken to the vet in 2014 after chewing the nicotine-rich
refills – an increase of 300 per cent.


However, many more cases are suspected to have occurred, because not all poisonings
are reported.


Chewing gum was another major cause of poisoning. Just one pack of gum can prove

deadly, causing dangerous drops in blood sugar and liver failure.

If you fear your dog has been poisoned, the Kennel Club urges owners to contact their
vet immediately, even if their dog appears well, as it can take 
several days before
symptoms appear.


Mr Sutton said: "Dogs are very i
ntelligent, very curious and have a great sense of smell.
But we have to be careful about feeding them things that aren’t intended for them."

                     





Community Web Kit provided free by BT